• Welcome to TIS

To sign up please switch off VPNs

Welfare cut to Ukranians, is it fair, Ambassador concerned.

TIS

Registered
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Ukrainian Ambassador 'concerned' over welfare rate change​

The Ukrainian Ambassador to Ireland has said she is "concerned" about proposed changes to welfare rates for some refugees from the war-torn country now living in Ireland.

Yesterday, ministers signed off on the plan that will see around 27,000 Ukrainian refugees who benefit from temporary protection receiving reduced payments within three months.

In a statement, Ambassador Larysa Gerasko said: "I am still waiting for a meeting with the Government representative in order to get more clarification on a new changes. But I am concerned.

"We hope that it will take into account the interests of the vulnerable categories such as elderly, children, people with a special needs, women with a small kids - they have difficulties in finding jobs.

"I am concerned that significant changes in the welfare they get would force them to go back to Ukraine amid deteriorating security situation in Ukraine and ongoing Russia's offensive attack".

The reduced payments will apply to Ukrainians who do not work and live in what is termed 'State-provided serviced accommodation', such as a hotel where meals are provided.

Last December, the Government reduced payments to new arrivals - from March - from €232 a week to €38.80 and the lower payment will become the baseline for all Ukrainians in such circumstances.

Cassandra Syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Smoke and mirrors in a baseless attempt to win some voters before the election.

As to why Ukrainians are treated differently to other refugees in the first instance should be asked.

2pacs

Registered
Reaction score
Already reading it can be appealed.

bells of shandon

Registered
Reaction score
Sod off back to Western Ukraine ,that is 1200 km from the war zone in the Donbass,

Cassandra Syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Seems a lot of Ukrainians are now returning, certainly leaving Ireland.

If nothing highlights our soft-touch nature and abuse of our goodwill, then nothing will.

We need to change the law and make it so that anyone claiming asylum here receives no benefits other than the basics to survive once they have received a right to stay which in my view will sharply remove those who are here for bogus reasons. No free houses, no dole payments, simply a small amount of money to survive, a chance to work legally, and some sort of accommodation but not the keys to a free gaff.

No dole or any regular social welfare entitlements until you pay into the system for 5 years or more.

bells of shandon

Registered
Reaction score
Send the Ukrainian welfare bums back home to Western Ukraine. W.Ukraine is 1200km from the Donbass war zone.
They are here for the freebies from the Irish Taxpayer.
They are now voting and standing as candidates in our Local Elections for FF/FG.
They are no friends of Ireland just opportunist parasites.

2pacs

Registered
Reaction score
Send the Ukrainian welfare bums back home to Western Ukraine. W.Ukraine is 1200km from the Donbass war zone.
They are here for the freebies from the Irish Taxpayer.
They are now voting and standing as candidates in our Local Elections for FF/FG.
They are no friends of Ireland just opportunist parasites.

I don't blame the Ukrainians, in 2001 when we opened our doors to the Polish and other Eastern Europeans they came to take advantage of our goodwill, hell we would do the same.

The whole Ukrainian war is fabricated, peace has been offered multiple times, but the fact that our government said even in the beginning they could stay even after the war finished told us everything we needed to know about their real intentions.

Its obvious to me that across the west there is an orchestrated plan to displace the native populations and either replace them or water them down so much that the notion of nationalism is extinguished and they can introduce a credit score system like China.

Sinbad

They call me a God
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine a lot of the Ukrainians are in shock at the moment, they were flavour of the month a while back with our government, and now they are being turfed out of their accommodation and losing their benefits whilst "refugees" are moved in.